Friday, November 4, 2011

Day 65 - Animal


Day 65 - Animal, originally uploaded by Mikey Brick.

One of the things that occurred to me regarding how to do 365 photos was the use of history for each day's photo. I looked up this date in history, November 4, and the lead story was the Soviet crushing of the Hungarian uprising in 1956. In 1928, Arnold Rothstein was killed. He was a gambler, bootlegger, and central figure in the Black Sox scandal. But later in the week - November 10 - is the anniversary of the debut of Sesame Street in 1969. I didn't have anything Sesame Street to photograph, but I had another fantastic Muppet. This Animal has been with me for 33 years or so. His fur is not looking too sharp, and the sun bleached most of his color when I let him ride in my car in Austin, Texas for a year. Thanks to my childhood Irish Setter, Molly, he has a ragged lapel and his left arm has been sewn back on above the elbow. He's missing a finger on his right hand, rendering a permanent rock 'n' roll "Secret Satan Sign" (Bloom County/Billy & the Boingers Reference). That's also thanks to Molly. So anyway, November 10 while i'm watching Morrissey perform in Chicago, I'll be saying "happy birthday" to Grover, Oscar, Bert and Ernie, Cookie Monster and the rest.

No comments: