Sunday, August 25, 2013

025/365 - Samba


025/365 - Samba, originally uploaded by Mikey Brick.
August 25, 2013. I only went to one street festival today, even though there were three that I thought about going to, and at least five in the city that I knew of. No, six. I just remembered another. I went to Brazil Fest in Logan Square. I was at first confused by the band on the west stage where I entered. The band itself wasn't confusing. I see one like them every time I go to, or even cross through, a street festival, or a band playing in the park or on the street. They were one of those folksy, Americana, we-gots-banjos-mandolins-and-singers-of-both-sexes bands. And a bass drum, of course. I was just confused that Brazil Fest had to include a band from Ohio or Connecticut or Detroit or wherever that was so influenced by the other South America - the one that includes Alabama and Kentucky and Tennessee. But certainly not Brazil. So I took a few pictures of the beardy people and went toward the east stage where I could hear a bateria pounding out a samba. Eventually that ended up snaking through the crowd as you see in this photo. Good fun, and I hope to make it back next year.

No comments: