Wednesday, April 2, 2014

245/365 - Night Biking

245/365 - Night Biking

I was thinking it had been a nice night for a bike ride home from work, but then I remembered that it was kind of cold, and the wind made for a physical challenge. Still, I think it was a nice ride, even though the traffic was heavy and occasionally inconsiderate. Even though some guy, also biking, insisted on shoaling every time I found myself sitting at a light - cruising up in front of everyone at the light, including the guy (me) that passes him as soon as there's room to maneuver after every light. Every light, from Kinzie and Milwaukee to Milwaukee and California. At least he stopped when he got in front, though. Some people roll up in front of you and trackstand until they're clear. But they don't stand. They zigzag (not quite) in place so you're not really clear to go around them on either side, and they might not ever be clear to go, because Chicago traffic is nonstop. If you're me, you go around them when the light changes anyway, between two cars and they yelp because they didn't know anyone was on the road with them, and they're startled and might fall into that taxi (or streetsweeper or cement truck or Audi). Still, it was a nice ride. I only had one person standing in the Dearborn bike path, and I didn't even have to yell at her. I shook my head as I was approaching, and she saw me before I got too close and went back onto the sidewalk. Marvelous! To clarify, that was only one on the way home, not one all day. Going to work there were a few, and I did get to use words. There are always a few, I think. You know what? It was a nice night for a ride.

No comments: