Monday, April 21, 2014

264/365 - Jumper (?)

264/365 - Jumper (?)

April 21, 2014.  This morning, as I came over the bridge on Kinzie Street behind the Sun-Times building, I saw a disturbance of some sort. A cyclist on the north side of the street was pointing out where she saw a man fall or jump from - a man whose body was partially in the bike lane I was riding in. A fire truck had arrived, and the feet of one of its occupants can be seen on the left side of the frame going to the body. An ambulance was coming up Kinzie, and people were beginning to gather. I took a couple of half-hearted hipshots while riding (thus the blur and bad aim), and carried on past the scene and to work. I am, after all, neither a photojournalist nor a disciple of Weegee. Despite not really wanting photos of the scene, I really fought myself for the next few blocks on whether to turn around and document it. It is an opportunity I'm fine with having missed, and I hope the grief of those he left behind is not too painful. If he survived, I hope his injuries can be overcome.

No comments: