Friday, July 11, 2014

345/365 - Funky Drummer

345/365 - Funky Drummer

July 11, 2014.  At Jackson and Michigan again on my lunch break, I encountered the same brass quartet for the third day in a row, the second with this drummer. They've been killing it each time I heard them. The first day, not too far from Dorothy Robeson, the Tina Turner impersonator I posted the other day, they were tearing up "The Chicken," by Jaco Pastorius. The tuba player was doing a fine job with that bass line, no small feat. Yesterday, with the drummer, they were playing the Jackson 5's "Never Can Say Goodbye," when I first went by their corner, and "Spottieottiedopalicious" from Outkast a little later. I loved it, that being possibly my favorite Outkast song. Today, I think it got even better. I watched them play the JB's "Pass The Peas," at probably double the tempo. The drummer was grooving, the horns were tight, and the trumpet solo was thrilling.

No comments: