Saturday, July 19, 2014

353/365 - Gene and Paul

353/365 - Gene and Paul

July 19, 2014.  I should have had a photo of Eamon the Demon on his nineteenth birthday, but visiting him wasn't in the cards for me this weekend. Having rejected all the other reasons for me to leave the house, I was alerted to a KISS concert live online by my friend Ted, who I played quite a few KISS songs with back in high school. Time was running out for making a daily photo, and I decided to set one up with Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley, the only members of the KISS I loved still in the band. I don't mind that others are in the band, and haven't minded since Eric Carr replaced Peter Criss in 1981. But something about seeing other people play the characters of original members creeps me out a little. I was struck by how I seemed to be simultaneously experiencing my youth with this band and these songs while seeing and hearing mistakes, and flabbier rock stars, and substitutes, and being less mystified by the rock and roll show, having become a musician myself (thanks to KISS, actually).

No comments: